KATSUO & KONBU DASHI is a basic dashi for WASHOKU. Dashi soup you made is best before 2days with cold storage, 2weeks with frozen storage. Of course it’s better you make every time for every cooking.
- Water: 1L
- Dried Konbu:about 5cm*10cm
- Katsuobushi=dried bonito flakes: about 15g
- Put water and konbu in a saucepan. If possible, soak Konbu in water more than 30min.
- Simmer on medium heat.
- Remove Konbu when small bubbles appear in the saucepan. If you forget to remove, the water is boiling and soup is too mush smells of Konbu.
- Once boiled, add more water a littele(about 2Tbc), or stop heating. Then put Katsuobushi into saucepan.
- Simmer again until boiling, after 20-30seconds once it boiled, stop heating. (You had better to skim the scum off.)
- Strain the soup with a cloth or kitchen paper. (Don’t squeeze.)
Let’s make second DASHI
The avove is called ICHIBAN DASHI(=first dashi). You can easliy make NIBAN DASHI(=second dashi). Because KONBU and KATSUO are expensive, and there are still UMAMI(=good tastes). So you can make NIBAN DASHI by re-using KONBU & KATSUO of ICHIBAN DASHI.
- Put konbu and katsuobushi used the avobe into a sausepan.
- Add water 500ml (half of the above) and heat on high heat.
- Once boiled, change heat on low, and simmer 10 minutes. Don’t forget to get rid of the scum.
- Add more KATSUOBUSHI about 10g, stop heat ASAP.